Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder Support Group

A support group for those with OCPD and their loved ones.
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to ocpd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: You can apply to OCPDonly on this thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:58 am 
Site Admin

Hi Maz,

Maz wrote:
I just joined, am here. Please let me in

From the thread above,

"In posting a message to apply, please include a brief description of why you believe you have OCPD."

Sincerely, Paul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:22 am 

Dear Poul,
Actually I wasn't particularly happy since my realization of having OCPD. I'm pleased but not happy, pleased that I can put a word to my ailment at last.
I only got and accepted this realization last Sept, exactly thirty days ago through a HuffPost feature about some 8 traits of OCPD sufferer. Again I wasn't particularly glad that I got 79 in the Cammer test here. However i guess this community could do something nice to me.
I's still thinking. Thanks for now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:22 am 

Please add me. Diagnosed in 1999. Have children now and need advise/tips on how NOT to turn them into perfectionists like myself.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:15 pm 

Hi,
I was diagnosed with OCPD and OCD in... 2004/2005ish. I've bounced in and out of therapy through the years but have been much more successful with controlling/identifying my OCD behaviors than I ever have with OCPD; on the latter I'm probably closer to semi-aware.
I have visited this board occasionally but was hesitant to join because let's be honest, while I understand the public board is a great tool for those who need to vent about OCPDers in their life, those with OCPD *could* see it as a lot of whining. And if me internally judging people on the public board as "whiny" doesn't solidify my diagnosis, I don't know what will :lol: (I embrace my inner jerk).
Anyway, I think I would benefit more from this side of the fence and have finally decided to take the leap if you'll have me; maybe through touching base with others who have OCPD I can really acknowledge and come to better terms with it in myself. To speak it is to give it life and all that.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:16 pm 

I have struggled with ADD and anxiety issues with some minor depression and substance abuse issues in the past. In a quest to "be better" and avoid some of those issues, I started having obssesive thoughts, mostly related to perfectionism. I constantly diagnose myself, take supplements, very stringent exercise routines, meditation regiments. I am also a school teacher and obsess over lesson plans and having my grading done. After looking into OCD because I was scaring myself with all my rules, I discovered OCPD. I am pretty sure I am the Bedeviled Subtype and I'm looking for some support.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:00 pm 

I would like to join this group. I have just been diagnosed with OCDP and would appreciate the support.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:48 am 

Can you add me to this group please? I have struggled with obsessive thoughts, perfectionism and all or nothing thinking for my entire life. Been on medication for treatment for 14 years and see a cat therapist weekly. Looking for a resource to help me learn from others as its significantly affected my life.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:14 am 

Please add me to this board. I scored a 93 on the Cammer self-test and struggle with making room for other people in my rigid lifestyle. Often, I do not want to, as I find them an inconvenience or inefficiency out to stray me from my lists and progress or productivity. I had a breakdown last year that led me to counseling and an SSRI for managing my depression and OCPD traits. I am sick of everything I read about those like me sounding like I am a villain, especially when it comes from people that do nothing with their lives in comparison. I'd rather be more severely OCPD than as useless as them.

Last edited by Isolina on Tue May 05, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:28 am 

Hi! I was officially diagnosed with OCPD this January. I would like some support. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:05 am 

Hello there,

I have OCPD and would like to apply to join this forum. Also a bit confused as to how everything works, I'm trying to find advice or information on how to treat my OCPD, so looking for book recommendations, etc, can anyone tell me how I would go about this? Thank you :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:10 am 
Site Admin

Hi KateB,

There's no formal method or paradigm of how the forum works, people just share their experiences. The OCPDonly forum isn't very active. I was hoping people would get something going on there, but maybe OCPDers have a certain insularity or isolation in their personalities that makes it hard to get a meaningful sharing of experiences going like the nons do on the main board. We used to have a chat once or twice a weekly that was helpful but we haven't had that for a year or two.

Two books I like that talk about OCPD are "Too Perfect" by Mallinger and "Autonomy and Rigid Character" by Shapiro, though neither talks much about therapy. I bought "Present Perfect" by Somov on how to treat OCPD with mindfulness. I'm a huge fan of mindfulness for OCPD but the book didn't really speak to me. You might try it though. Then there are some self-published overpriced books on OCPD I'd avoid. Our forum member Morten published a free booklet "How I Control my OCPD" that's worth reading.

I find watching short guided meditation videos of YouTube soothing. They help me get in touch with my breathing and the feeling of my body. You might learn to meditate if you haven't already.

A spiritual approach can be helpful. For example, if you're Christian you could go to your pastor or a Christian counselor and tell them you have a harsh conscience that brings guilt down on you like a ton of bricks if you do something wrong, and could they help you to not be so hard on yourself. Maybe learn to live with a little guilt sometimes, rather than striving to live a guilt-free life. I wonder if Christian counselors have a unique insight into the role of guilt because of their theology.

That's about all that comes to mind at the moment.

Sincerely, Paul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:08 am 

Newly diagnosed ,looking for any help I can get,thx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:21 pm 

I am interested in joining as someone with OCPD and I find that a lot of forums/posts are for those who are involved with someone who has OCPD. Looking for more information, suggestions, insight etc. on living with it, accepting it and trying to "connect" with others with shared experience.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:09 pm 

I would like to be added.

I was diagnosed two days ago with OCPD (as well as OCD and a few other things)

I can't stand it when things are pretending to be organized. Chaos is fine (until it all of the sudden isn't but that's another story.) If someone does something, I have to go behind them and fix it like loading the dishwasher with the forks and knives in the same basket. I make list after list but often don't get to the actual task. I don't get how other people can just pick and choose what morals to follow on any given day. I hate showing positive emotions and anytime I muster up the effort to even say something like "It would really mean a lot to me if we could go out to dinner tonight" and something happens where the other person is late or they say they can't make it I'm devastated and I start closing off my emotions, trying to feel safe.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:55 pm 

I am applying to OCPDonly because I have been struggling with this issue for a long time and am hoping that joining this forum will help me overcome the destructive habits of the mind and resulting behaviors that accompany this disorder.

I have not been formally diagnosed with OCPD. However, I do believe I fulfill the DSM-V diagnostic criteria, as listed on Wikipedia. I am a graduate student and am terrified that this disorder will prevent me from finishing my degree and having a successful career in my field.

I was about to write an essay detailing how I fit each of the diagnostic criteria and was starting to feel the urge to procrastinate on writing this post due to the enormity of the task ahead and my mindset that the post absolutely *had* to be comprehensive in order to be convincing. I've now realized that it's probably not necessary for me to write a novel here. (Progress?) So, I will stop here. I am now freaking out because I have allowed two consecutive sentences to end in the same word. [Wait, is the proper idiom "end in" or "end with"? In the sentence immediately preceding this one, should I have used double quotes ("xx") or single quotes ('xx')? Okay, now I've used parentheses inside a parenthetical statement; I had better switch to square brackets.]

Please let me in?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next