Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder Support Group

A support group for those with OCPD and their loved ones.
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to ocpd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: OCPD on TV
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:24 am 

I was watching an episode of Law and Order and I was thinking...OMG this guy is so OCPD.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0629448/combined

From a review: J. O. Sanders' wife is getting uppity so he takes his two daughters and skips town, establishing a new identity and marrying a more compliant type to provide a mother for his children.

On a business visit to New York City, he runs into his first wife's college roommate. She recognizes him and he evidently pushes her onto the tracks in front of an oncoming subway train.

Briscoe and Curtis manage to track him down and uncover his real identity. At the trial it becomes clear that he's an obsessive personality who must command his environment. The pillows must be folded exactly right. His wife isn't allowed to visit her own family. His two daughters are so browbeaten that "they can't tell where they begin and he leaves off." The younger daughter is so afraid of losing Dad that she lies and claims that she herself killed the woman in the subway. Nice performance by the second wife, as Sam Waterston puts her on the witness stand and brings her to realize finally that her own life has faded away as if by magic.

There is no physical abuse involved, only the imposition of an iron will. That's what makes this episode interesting. Beating the wife and kids would have been too easy, a cop out, so to speak. The father is the king of the castle, and that's that. The new wife and the children are only instruments of his determination to rule the castle. Reminds me a little of my marriage, except there was no king, only la Reine des Guêpes.

There's a nice wisecrack towards the beginning, a Briscoe specialty. A mangled body lies out of sight under the train. The representative of the subway system asks how long before the tracks will be cleared; the system is proud of always being on schedule. When they're about to roll the train back, he asks if Lennie wants to check out the body. "No, thanks. It's all yours, Benito." A lot of people will miss this, so I'll add that when Benito Mussolini ruled Italy in the 1930s, his supporters boasted of him that "he made the trains run on time." It was a common joke.