Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder Support Group

A support group for those with OCPD and their loved ones.
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to ocpd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Relationships and OCPD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:30 pm 

This will be the last time I create a new post with the specific intention of sharing my YouTube channel. I did want this to be the last video I shared on here for a few reasons though. This video was beyond tough for me to produce. So I want this to be a milestone video in what we are capable of overcoming. I never thought I would get to this point of putting myself out there in such a vulnerable and honest way, and yet I have. The other reason it was important to share this video is as a warning to the damages OCPD can wreak. I lost the love of my life because of this disorder and this is the video that addresses that directly. I want to share my story so others can see how bad things can get. If anyone takes the time to watch I'd love your thoughts, critiques and comments.

https://youtu.be/kND3g7t3QoQ

Post subject: Re: Relationships and OCPD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:31 pm 

You are very courageous to do this and I agree that doing it is a very positive action for you. I can only imangine how difficult it must be...

My ex is OCPD but not very extreme. I see many similarities and parallels in what I know about his youth, early family life, religious aspects...leading to his coping mechanisms, anxiety and likely depression.

I admire your introspection and laying it out there. I hope it helps you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:35 pm 

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Every message or comment I get really encourages me to keep going with this. It's not easy, but I think it will hopefully help me, maybe help others and also I'm hoping it gets easier with time as well.

I hope what you experienced with your ex wasn't too extreme and that you are doing well now. I see some parallels between myself and others I have talked to as well and anecdotally it really seems the argument is for nurture over nature on this one. Thanks so much for sharing that information with me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:01 am 

Thank you for posting this and being vulnerable and open in your videos. You direct statements about what was and is going on in your head while the events were unfolding provided me insight and perspective. I would say my STBXH is not in the extreme category and the experiences you describe fit what has happened over the years. It gives me some peace as what I was dealing with I could not overcome. Not a bad thing, just something that I do not have responsibility for. I am sad about it as he and you are good people dealing with this disorder.

All the Best

Dragonfly21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:52 pm 

Thanks Dragonfly. I'm glad I was able to provide insight. That's definitely one of the main goals when trying to reach those that have lived with someone with OCPD. I don't want anyone to stay in an even mildly abusive situation, but so many people with OCPD have trouble articulating what they're feeling. So I'm hoping by being as open as possible, maybe a solution will present itself to others in a tough situation. At the very least, I'm hoping to let others know that if they did have to get out of a relationship with someone with OCPD, those of us that are self aware understand why you had to do it. Even if it hurts. All the best to you as well.