Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder Support Group

A support group for those with OCPD and their loved ones.
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to ocpd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: OCPDonly is a private forum only for those with OCPD
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:48 pm 

Hello,

I posted a few days ago asking to join the forum but I forgot to say why I think I have OCPD. I had known for many years that something wasn't right and that I didn't think like other people. I have had depression and anxiety since my teenage years but I had begun to realise that there was something else. People would often react strangely to things I did or said, and would sometimes become irritated with my need for details and my in-flexibility. I have used detailed daily and other lists to organise my life (I print the daily ones out and stick them in a notebook each month adding to them, as I go along) for many years, and rely on these, along with schedules and various calenders and planners to feel 'in control'. A couple of years ago I finally discovered that OCPD existed and reading about it realised it described my thought patterns and behaviours to a tee. I got an official diagnosis from my Psychiatrist over 2 years ago and since then have been getting to grips with it and trying to learn how to cope.

I have attended Mindfullness courses which have helped but I wish to find more information about the condition and ways to cope with it. I have had a look on-line for books about it but most seem to be about OCD. I would like to join this forum to see if anyone else knows of any books or other resources that could help me develop ways of coping. Could anyone tell me where I might find this information on the forums or where to post and see if anyone knows of any?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:19 pm 

Just realised I now have access to the forums, thanks for accepting me in, I'll post on the main OCPD only message board and see if anyone can help my with my search for information :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:36 am 

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm also suffering from OCPD. I've been in some sort of depressional mode for about 5-6 years now. With the help of a psychologist, things have gone better now, but I've always been diagnosed as an OCD-patient. During the last months, me and my girlfriend had a growing suspision about this diagnose. I don't repeat action for ten times, like checking if the door is correctly closed. So I tried to make a diagnose for myself and I soon found OCDP as a answer. I'm afraid I have (well, partially had, since I'm doing my best to conquer the OCPD) most of the characteristics. E.g. in the list in this link (http://outofthefog.net/Disorders/OCPD.html) I'm scoring about 90-95% I guess :?

Is it possible to allow me to the OCPD-only-forum?

Thanks in advance,
Tila

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:40 pm 

I would like to join the OCPD group. I was diagnosed a long time ago and thought I could beat it myself. I didn't really get at the time what the "personality" aspect of the disorder was. I do now and am starting treatment.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:59 pm 

Hi there.

I have struggled with being different for many years now, I assumed that the stupidity and inefficiency that surrounded and tortured me was just the way the world was in my chosen industry. I strived and pushed myself in my business to prove to the world that things can be done better. I would like to thing i am smarter than the average person and succeeded in my business. I was able to be very profitable and successful in my chosen field until eventually after many years i just couldn't go any further and closed my business and walked away. I just couldn't get 'good help' and I had nothing left to give. I took 12 months off and i got back into other businesses. The same frustrating issues started to pop up in a totally different industry, so I started to question whether the problem wasn't external but maybe internal? I research things and investigate why i needed everything to be finished, ordered, perfect, controlled. Why do people think I'm a bit strange and hard to work with? when all I am doing is trying to do my absolute best!

Previously I just assumed that this was a great way to be and it was a blessing! I assumed that i was surrounded by moron.

I am 42 years old I am married for 18 years to an absolute angel of a woman. We have 2 kids aged, 14 and 11 that are the most amazing kids ever. My wife has supported and loved me and just put up with my crap for as long as I can remember. I had never heard of OCPD until recently and then I found this site. I took the self examination for a bit of fun and i scored a little too high so I continued to investigate and read peoples experiences.

I was dumbfounded! what I assumed was a blessing and a normal behaviour pattern is actually OCPD. For the first time in as long time i can see the damage it has caused in my wife personality, in my kids confidence and the damage it has done in general to all my relationships. I just don't know where to start, but things have to change.

Can anyone please give me a starting point.

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:45 pm 

Omi - welcome. Your question of why...? I wonder that a lot myself. Strange thing this thing is, but it is what it is, and I am learning to like myself more & more everyday, even if the whole world feels like it is falling apart...good luck, and good reading. I think I am fast becoming the poster-child for OCPD as many of the non's find me stubborn....oh well...not my intention, for real...

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:22 am 

Please can i apply, i have been diagnosed with ocpd. For 20 years i was miss diagnosed with bipolar. I also have borderline personality disorder.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Hi Sandford,

SANDFORD1977 wrote:
Please can i apply, i have been diagnosed with ocpd. For 20 years i was miss diagnosed with bipolar. I also have borderline personality disorder.

I'm going to approve you, because you may find it helpful. But I don't believe you can have borderline personality and OCPD at the same time. Borderline is one of the narcissistic-based disorders based on an avoidance of shame, while OCPD is based on an avoidance of guilt. You can't have both extremes in the same person, as personalities fashioned in each of these two ways are polar opposites, like hot and cold, or up and down. There must be some confusion, such as a misdiagnosis.

Sincerely, Paul
OCPD forum manager

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:58 am 

Can I join page please - diagnosed by psychiatrist and I desperately want to connect with people in similar position and learn more about this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:53 pm 

Hi! I'd like to join the OCPD-only part of this forum.
I have not been officially diagnosed. I live in Spain and the public healthcare system sucks. Unless you're suicidal, the GD won't escalate you to a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist. I've explained my "case" in different ways, but the GD insists I'm just stressed.

Pretty much everything I read about OCPD fits my profile. I make lists in my dreams, I'm surrounded by them. Some days I have my days planned by the hour. I planned a 4 month 'round the world trip with DAILY precision, and I managed to follow it 98% of the time. I also make statistics of useless things.

I am a pathological perfectionist and I waste time perfecting things that don't need to be perfect. It can be work, it can be cleaning, it can be how I cut the tomatoes for my sandwich.

I have a method and a system for everything. I see patterns everywhere and I use them to organize things. I get highly frustrated when things are not back where they belong, or when people do things in a manner I don't believe it's ideal.

Sometimes I'm able to control my anger/frustration, but even in those cases, I still notice and feel them.

I've scored a 75 on the Cammer self-test and said "yes" to over 3/4 of the Too Perfect self-test.

I realized I might be an OCPDer a couple of years ago, and tried to address the situation. Other than some tiny bit of mindfulness, I've made very little progress. But ironically, I don't 'obsess' about it. Still, I don't know if or how I will be able to get a proper diagnosis from the public healthcare system, and at the moment I can't afford a private one, so I just thought it was time for me to seek help, even if by myself, and I'm very happy to have found this forum, and to have realized I don't need to do it by myself.

I truly believe I can benefit immensely from it. I want to be a better person and a better husband. I know my wife suffers because of this, and I don't want that to happen.

I could keep writing for hours, but I think this should be enough, right?

Thank you in advance. Got lots of reading to do now...

Cheers!

-lutty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:35 am 

I'd like to be admitted to the OCPD side of the house. My wife of 17 years and 3 grade school kids recently kicked me out of our home after essentially self diagnosing me and making me an appointment with a psychiatrist. She had brought this up about a year ago but like a true OCPD'er I dismissed that as interesting but no way could I have that. The initial visit was somewhat inconclusive but after looking more closely at OCPD I'm convinced something is there. Too many (but not all) of the behaviors hit pretty close to the bone. I think I have a mild case but a case nonetheless.

I'd like to read more about how others handle this and most importantly how to mitigate my behaviors. It sounds like the road back to "normal" (whatever that is) is a long one and my first two visits with a therapist hasn't left me with a feeling that they have any magic solution. This isn't a "take two pills and call me in the morning" sort of thing and I have a feeling I'm going to have to do a lot of this on my own and I'm looking for help and a place to explain how and why I feel the way I do.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:40 pm 

Hello,
I'm not sure who is going to read this, but here is a bit of my story!
I have been diagnosed with OCPD (as well as OCD, Generalized anxiety disorder, Panic disorder (with agoraphobia), and recurrent major depression). I show all of the traits listed in the DSM IV. I first started my psychiatric treatment over 12 years ago, but I wasn't diagnosed with OCPD until 6 years ago. I've been hospitalized, told I shouldn't be a functioning member of society...a lot of negative and traumatizing things. However, I am now living on my own, supporting myself with a wonderful career., and proof that one can overcome this. I came to an understanding that my suffering, if nothing else, was for me to better learn to help and empathize with others. I have my days where I need support and reminders that I am not my illness, but I also want to find a community to share my knowledge and support with.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:29 pm 

I have been formerly diagnosed with OCPD but both a psychologist and a psychiatrist. I want to join as a young adult to help myself before it gets worse. I also want a better understanding for the community and the disorder!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6