Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder Support Group

A support group for those with OCPD and their loved ones.
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to ocpd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: OCPDonly is a private forum only for those with OCPD
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:05 pm 

I want to join this forum to get some support with my OCPD. I am a mental health professional and in talking with my colleagues I see that I fit the criteria for OCPD. As I have been reading some of the other posts on this site, I realize that I display similar behaviors and relational problems as many of the members of this site. I would like to join in order to talk with others who share my experiences and who may offer advise on how to manage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:05 pm 

Hi, I'd like to apply to participate in 'our' forum here-- hang out with friends who are blessed/cursed with our OCPD, learn and share about dealing with it.

I'm pretty much self-diagnosed, which then has been verified by my wonderful counselor who I've beeh seeing for about 8 years now-- usually once a month now, but occaisionally bi-weekly as needed.

I'm a retired steelworker in SW Penna, the last two years of work I was working forced overtime, and trying to get a divorce which wasn't happening-- pretty much stress 24/7 for those two years which culminated in my having anxiety attacks, and being led (forced) to go for counselling, and Zoloft. Pretty much a lot of anger at everything/everyone for years, sometimes feeling my counselor was my only friend. After a failed relationship, 4 years ago, I thought I was obsessing over the woman, and was seeking some info about 'obssession' on Google, and OCPD popped up-- almost glowing! I checked it out, 'passed' the test with flying colors....... 7 out of 8 traits, and started to get a bit of understanding, and a little 'better', even finally going off the Zoloft for a couple years. Then, after a couple major events where I had absolutely no control, I needed the Zoloft again to help with the constant negative obsessive thoughts.

Still reading, and getting a bit better at accepting the way we are-- not accepting ideas/treatments/help, etc, unless we believe it to be the way to go-- our way. Better, but 'worse' at times, which I'm finding out is pretty much 'normal' for us.

Simply hoping to be with, and offer any help I can here to, fellow OCPD'rs.

Thanks for the consideration...... John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:52 pm 

I was just diagnosed with OCPD by my therapist. I've dealt with this my entire life as well as resulting social phobia which has severely impacted me. I come from a family where anxiety disorders are common, and my father is the textbook definition of an OCPD person, though he will never ever accept that and thinks he's fine. Actually, he'd take it as a point of pride.
Living in such a family only served to make my personality more apparent and more anxious. I have ruined friendships with my outbursts of anger and alienated a vast majority of people with my guarded nature and attitude perceived as "arrogant" by others.
I do not have much of the "ordering", at least not outwardly. Much of mine is internal and tied in with appearance and how I will be thought of by others - I must avoid negative judgment at all times, and if I can't confirm for a fact that someone is not judging me negatively - which is impossible - I can't handle it.
And work? If I make an error, I immediately jump to thinking they'll fire me. Because what good am I if I make mistakes? If they don't fire me, my reputation in the company has been tarnished and others won't rely on me anymore, and I'll get passed up for promotion.

Anyway, that's the semi-short of it. I would like to maybe talk to others who think similarly, as it's hard for most people I know to understand.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:15 pm 

Hi,
I would like to join OCPD Only. I was diagnosed with OCPD in the early '90s. My treatment has been comprised of medication and self-help. I have recently retired and am concerned about what the stoppage of work and too much idle time may do. I would like to work on getting a handle on my OCPD.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:28 pm 

Greetings!

Currently, I feel weird. In same time I am happy because I am getting to know with my disease. But in the same time, I am sad because of it.

For years, I am unable to organize myself, I am perfectionist, I have obsessive thoughts. Also, I am a hoarder.

OCPD took away from me a lot of good opportunities I had. When I wanted to use them, perfectionism appears and made implementation stress full, often impossible.

I start, I want to make it perfect, I give up and in the end I miss opportunities.

I would like to find some good self - help therapy. If you have any questions or you need additional info, feel free to ask me. Currently, I feel so defeated, my mind is working slower than usual.

Post subject: Re: OCPDonly Application
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:34 pm 

I broke up with my Fiance a little over a month ago and even though "It was all because of the trouble her kids caused & She didn't handle it Right", I realized a short time later I had made a mistake. I don't listen very well & don't share very well. Her Daughter's BF robbed our home for almost everything he could get & it pushed me over the edge. Instead of talking to her about how it was effecting me I lashed out. While talking to a friend of mine that works at the VA he casually mentioned he thought I was OCD even though he'd never seen our house. It struck a cord in my head and I then started doing research online. I found The Right Stuff by Dr. Phillipson and it scared me many things were so true to me. Afterwards I realized this had been developing throughout my life I saw the patterns that my relationships have always taken.I also realized how I had been alienating her for the last year. I am trying to work on my ocpd for myself first but hope that maybe we can work thngs out eventually

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:28 am 

A friend believes that I may have OCPD. I am neat, clean and a creature of habit and was shocked to find my self assessment was moderate. I am not sure how to deal with this, but on saying that, I was stung. If I need help in understanding all this, I hope I am in the right place.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:07 am 

Hi, I would like to join the OCPD only section of the forums. I have been professionally diagnosed with OCPD and am seeking support from those in similar situations. I am an extremely rigid person with a black and white way of thinking. I was completely oblivious to my condition until I caved in and sought help for anxiety and depression. My anxiety stems from my unrealistic expectations of myself and others that I just can't shake. I am overly responsible and cannot stand it when I make a mistake or do something wrong. I also compulsively make lists to better organize myself. I am hoping to meet others like myself and persevere.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:03 pm 

Hi,
I would like to join the private forum. I have not been diagnosed (yet), however I fit with 4-5/8 criteria on the DSM checklist, and score 68 on the Cammer self-test. My mother was a covert narcissist/BPDer and I've struggled with perfectionism, control issues and anxiety my whole life. I've had difficult interpersonal failures (lost long-time friends and romantic partners) over my hyper sensitivity, criticism and righteousness, all of which I have to admit must be a problem, though I have difficulty seeing them "as they happen". I am on the way to healing core issues, hopefully with the help of my new therapist. Sounds awful! But I also have a healthy sense of humor and am ever the optimist :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:18 am 

I am self-diagnosed as OCPD, but since having 2 kids and several very stressful life events, I can understand myself ALOT better now. In my INTRODUCTION, I mentioned my Mom's mis-diagnosed Schziophrenia and how that hovered over my head and my siblings for our entire lives. I don't think they are fully aware of how OCPD relates to themselves - YET, but will soon enough. I am most concerned for my kids' longevity and hope to teach them that they can control or at least minimze some of the drastic effects - Negativity, extreme criticism,etc - the good part seems to be boundless energy,but needs careful guidance to not burn out and lose sight of the Forest...

I think back to my childhood and remember all the success in school/sports and it being pretty easy. The hard part is admitting the problem of OCPD and its' running-on-a-treadmill devotion....turning off my Brain is difficult, but I am learning....Hope to learn more as time goes by...SOHC

Conscientiousness is the defining feature of OCPD from which many of the other symptoms follow. http://sgo.sagepub.com/content/3/3/2158244013500675

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:43 pm 

I have been diagnosed with OCPD by a psychiatrist. I am actively seeking treatment but am also looking for self-help in attempt to free myself of this life-long misery.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:42 pm 

please add me to the ocpd only forum. It is truely me

Post subject: New to all of this...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:34 pm 

Hi, I have just recently acknowledged that I have OCPD and I'm struggling to find methods to cope with it. It has begun to seriously impact my marriage of 15 years, DH is a very patient and tolerant man but even he has a breaking point it seems :( I live by lists, order/routine, schedules, and constant constant constant worry and anxiety. I can't relax ever. If a pillow is out of place, I have to fix it, if a dish is left out, I have to put it back. I've been on the verge of a breakdown for several months and I'm barely hanging on...but my need to appear in control and perfect won't even allow me to have a breakdown! Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I have to admit that I was shocked though when I scored 87 on the Cammer test.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:04 am 

Hi,

I would like to join the OCPD-only section. Afther completing a whole bunch of tests, I have been diagnosed with OCPD by a psychiatrist. I hadn't really heard of the disorder before, but when I started reading about it, I knew the diagnose was right. It all fit. But I'm having a hard time dealing with it, so I would love to join.

Tank you

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:45 pm 

Hi,

I was diagnosed with OCPD (accompanied by depression and anxiety) by a psychiatrist a little over a year ago. I'm on my second year of therapy now and doing relatively fine. But I'm desperate for some peer support. Reading all the posts about OCPD ruining marriages and lives was just the opposite of what I needed, so please, add me to the private forum. Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next