Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder Support Group

A support group for those with OCPD and their loved ones.
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to ocpd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: OCPD conv with H
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:59 am 

As with some of you, I am also weighing whether I can stay in the marriage with my H. Quick background.

Together 14 years, married for 4. No kids. Over the past 6 years I have become the primary breadwinner and successful in my career. H is in his early/mid 40s. I am a few years older ;) . We are very compatible on a intellectual level and have had a good friendship throughout our relationship. Issues have been there with an escalation about 3 years ago, when H turned 40. We have been in MC for almost a year now, H started IC last month after an escalated incident. We are in separate bedrooms.

We had a significant argument about him feeling a certain way because of what I am 'doing'. Feelings as facts as I call it or the changing rules. "You were demanding in our conversation this morning with a barrage of questions (3)", then next day "you did not talk to me enough this morning and are ignoring me". His anxiety ramping up because of the distance and boundaries I am setting. I was frustrated and blew up and indicated that we were going to have a talk over the weekend about giving me more space and that may include him moving out. I was upset and left. No texts or calls. When I returned in the afternoon he was sad and upset, wanting to do better and the right thing by giving me space and seeing that his thoughts and behavior is a big part of the problem.

I have noticed in these recent arguments that there are some moments of clarity for him and he is more open about talking about his feelings. We were talking about a character in the Big Bang Theory name Sheldon who has some extreme OCPD traits and we joked about some of the similarities with the character and H. I suggested the Cammer self test. H took it and scored a 76. Before he showed me his score, he asked me mine. I told him 45. I went on to briefly mention I had researched OCPD online after one of our MC sessions a few months back when our therapist mentioned some of h's thoughts appeared to be a little OCD. We talked a little about the difference between OCD and OCPD. I could tell by his facial expressions and body language that he was processing this. I went on to mention that these behaviors and thoughts can start to increase in a person gets in their 40s (right about the time H mentioned and increase in our fighting). I focused back on our relationship and said "well, this may be in our relationship, but there are 2 people here and we both have responsibility for our relationship." - I know it would be easy for him to try to pull back to the I am blaming him part, but I just put that in there because, in the end, there are 2 people here and I am taking responsibility for being here. There may come a time when I can't deal with it any longer and then I will choose what I will do.

I am putting this here as I had first decided that I was not going to tell or suggest to H what I thought. I wanted to share this incase it might help someone else if they are deciding to have a conversation with their SO. I had a fear that he would feel like I was telling him he was bad, broken, or turn it around on me. I decided at this point to put that out there and will see what he does with it. It may help, it may not. If he uses it against me then I have my answer.

Will see what happens.

Dragonfly21

Post subject: Re: OCPD conv with H
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:09 pm 

DF,

Thanks for posting this. I hope that the combination of counseling and the conversation provides a catalyst for awareness and perhaps change. I wish you continued positives in his ability to accept what you're saying in a non-accusatory way. Each adult talking responsibility for his/her own emotions and behavior. That's a big weight lifted to stop taking responsibility for all of their "stuff".

Please keep us updated. I'm Happy you reposted your history, as I had gone back and read your original story.

The beginning: rt-lift-off-rikkitikki-s-chronicle-t5072-2775.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:15 pm 

That's great, dragonfly!

I'm glad I have told my H my thoughts on OCPD, and PD's in general. He has not embraced those two terms specifically, but he has accepted that there is something different about him, and that it causes problems in his life, and makes him have anxiety, and it has to do with his NPD father's abuse. So even though the terms PD and OCPD don't probably stick in his mind, the real meaning behind them is there.

Mine is working as hard as he can ... ... but really, I don't know that this bit of awareness can make things any different in most cases. All it can do is help both him and me understand what is happening when he's triggered out, so I can stop taking it personally and I can do what I need to do to protect myself from it.

It is so difficult, all of this stuff. We love them and it seems like we should just be able to shake them and say "wake up, all you have to do is stop doing x, y, and z behaviors and then I could give you so much more love and we'd be happy!"

But it just doesn't work like that.

Even after all the hundreds of talks my H and I have had and his recent understanding that he has PTSD-like triggers which might make him go into an rage that is totally inappropriate, he still can't stop himself from doing it once he is triggered.

However....at this point in my marriage and this bizarre journey into psychology I've been dumped into, I can say that his PD doesn't define him. There is a normal person in him, too. The normal person wins out most of the time and I can do my best to only engage with him, while disengaging with the PD guy when he shows up.

To understand that his PD doesn't define him has helped me immensely to stop being angry at him for his disorder. This doesn't mean I have to accept the PD behaviors that are harmful in any way.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:35 pm 

blue,

You sound both extremely well adapted and loving.

Al Bernstein: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:54 pm 

Hi dragonfly,

I think it was wonderful the way you were able to bring up the ocpd convo with your h without him feeling he was being blamed or being attacked. Thank you for sharing this. My DH has a couple of times seen an open page in my computer about ocpd. I am sure he has researched about it on his own after those incidents. He knows I think he has ocpd but it is an unwelcome topic between us, he refuses to be labeled. What this has done for us in our relationship is he now is open to change, especially when it concerns how he deals with our 13 yo son. Whereas before it was only his way or else face his rage, now he asks for my opinion if he is being too harsh or unreasonable. I can see he really loves our son and is so afraid that he might be being too hurtful. When he does fail, like automatic negative reactions to triggers, he apologizes at once. Unlike before, he wants us to be the ones to apologize for not doing things his way. Do keep us updated on how your h deals with this new awareness. Good luck! :)

dirtgal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:02 pm 

intotheblue123 wrote:

To understand that his PD doesn't define him has helped me immensely to stop being angry at him for his disorder. This doesn't mean I have to accept the PD behaviors that are harmful in any way.

I love this! Thanks intotheblue. There is indeed so much more to our SO's other than ocpd. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm 

dragonfly21 wrote:
As with some of you, I am also weighing whether I can stay in the marriage with my H. Quick background.

Together 14 years, married for 4. No kids. Over the past 6 years I have become the primary breadwinner and successful in my career. H is in his early/mid 40s. I am a few years older ;) . We are very compatible on a intellectual level and have had a good friendship throughout our relationship. Issues have been there with an escalation about 3 years ago, when H turned 40. We have been in MC for almost a year now, H started IC last month after an escalated incident. We are in separate bedrooms.

We had a significant argument about him feeling a certain way because of what I am 'doing'. Feelings as facts as I call it or the changing rules. "You were demanding in our conversation this morning with a barrage of questions (3)", then next day "you did not talk to me enough this morning and are ignoring me". His anxiety ramping up because of the distance and boundaries I am setting. I was frustrated and blew up and indicated that we were going to have a talk over the weekend about giving me more space and that may include him moving out. I was upset and left. No texts or calls. When I returned in the afternoon he was sad and upset, wanting to do better and the right thing by giving me space and seeing that his thoughts and behavior is a big part of the problem.

I have noticed in these recent arguments that there are some moments of clarity for him and he is more open about talking about his feelings. We were talking about a character in the Big Bang Theory name Sheldon who has some extreme OCPD traits and we joked about some of the similarities with the character and H. I suggested the Cammer self test. H took it and scored a 76. Before he showed me his score, he asked me mine. I told him 45. I went on to briefly mention I had researched OCPD online after one of our MC sessions a few months back when our therapist mentioned some of h's thoughts appeared to be a little OCD. We talked a little about the difference between OCD and OCPD. I could tell by his facial expressions and body language that he was processing this. I went on to mention that these behaviors and thoughts can start to increase in a person gets in their 40s (right about the time H mentioned and increase in our fighting). I focused back on our relationship and said "well, this may be in our relationship, but there are 2 people here and we both have responsibility for our relationship." - I know it would be easy for him to try to pull back to the I am blaming him part, but I just put that in there because, in the end, there are 2 people here and I am taking responsibility for being here. There may come a time when I can't deal with it any longer and then I will choose what I will do.

I am putting this here as I had first decided that I was not going to tell or suggest to H what I thought. I wanted to share this incase it might help someone else if they are deciding to have a conversation with their SO. I had a fear that he would feel like I was telling him he was bad, broken, or turn it around on me. I decided at this point to put that out there and will see what he does with it. It may help, it may not. If he uses it against me then I have my answer.

Will see what happens.

Dragonfly21

I wanted to update this and bring it to the forefront for a timeline and also to share with others.

At my following IC counseling, I mentioned this conversation bolded above to my counselor. She thought it was a good conversation, very balanced and not blaming. She had suggested I mention to my H about printing off the test and sharing that with his IC. I later mentioned it to my H (not that my counselor had suggested it) and he said that he thought his IC would not be surprised. :roll:

My H's IC appointment was on Monday - if you recall my post on "Blame and Wrongness" I mentioned the 2 interactions on the previous day and the morning of the appointment. I wonder if he is starting to stress before his appointments now. H had mentioned that the appointment was 'ok' was very quiet, appeared tired and fell asleep on the couch while watching tv. I suspect the exhaustion was mental related rather than physical.

When we were out to dinner last night I casually asked if he had mentioned to his IC about the cammer test. He said he did not mention it and did not like to think of himself as 'disordered'. I briefly said I look at it as more of a personality trait thing and let it go, since a restaurant is not the place to have this discussion.

Our MC appointment is this afternoon. I am going to bring up our previous conversation about OCPD his cammer test score and what his thoughts were on the information in front of the counselor. This conversation happened after the last session. I may or may not want to discuss the dissection of the cover letter conversation listed in the "Blame and Wrongness" and the debit card conversation.

After almost 1 year of MC sessions, they go one of 4 ways

1) If everything is mellow and light - H is in normal operating mode
2) If he feels wronged or attacked by the counselor - he will be angry and blaming during the session and complain after the session
3) If he feels wronged by me or that I am 'lying' - I will get the silent treatment, depending on the level or perceived wrong will determine the duration
4) If 2 and 3 happen, silent treatment after and possibly an angry exchange and/or a rage

Given our current situation - separate bedrooms and clear boundaries, there probably won't be a rage. He is aware of my tolerance level and where I am at on the marriage. I hope to have my job situation resolved in the next few weeks and plan what my next steps could be.

Dragonfly21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:29 pm 

DF,

Thanks for bringing us up to date and please continue to keep us posted on your progress. Your experience, insight and advice has been invaluable to me and I'm sure many others.

I hope that by expressing yourself and your thoughts as to what the problems may be, that you get some positive reaction from your H. Maybe not full awareness, but some glimmer. It finally hit me that Not talking about the problems in our relationship was getting us nowhere, so I decided to speak up, also. We didn't expressly discuss OCPD, but the behavior and my frustration in the marriage. I'm getting old and life is too short...

RT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:54 am 

dragonfly21 wrote:

2) If he feels wronged or attacked by the counselor - he will be angry and blaming during the session and complain after the session
3) If he feels wronged by me or that I am 'lying' - I will get the silent treatment, depending on the level or perceived wrong will determine the duration
4) If 2 and 3 happen, silent treatment after and possibly an angry exchange and/or a rage
Have you considered raising these issues in MC?

“ When people show you who they are, believe them, the first time."
― Maya Angelou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:28 pm 

more-freedom wrote:
dragonfly21 wrote:

Have you considered raising these issues in MC?

Thanks More-Freedom for asking this.

We have discussed it in counseling and the counselor has repeatedly said this is not appropriate behavior and that what is said at the counseling session needs to be set aside and not rehashed at home to spiral out of control. Rehashing and/or punishing the other person is toxic. I will say it has gotten better because I will not engage with him when he starts down that path. It is hard not to when he starts up with the behavior, but I have gotten much better at just letting it go as I know engaging will just make it worse.

I am going to post my update next.

Thanks

Dragonfly21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:50 pm 

Had the MC counseling last night. I feel parts of it were good, parts of it were common behaviors, and again revealed my part in this dynamic.

Here is the convo I had about OCPD. I read this out loud to the counselor:

CAMMER TEST AND OCPD CONVO
Friday Jan 9th we discussed a character on the Big Bang Theory show name Sheldon who has some extreme OCPD traits and we both joked about some of the similarities with the character and H. I suggested that H take the Cammer self-test. I had already taken it. H took it and scored a 76. Before he showed me his score, he asked me mine. I told him 45.
I went on to briefly mention I had researched OCPD online after one of our sessions a few months back when you had mentioned in passing that some of H’s thoughts appeared to be a little OCD. H and I then talked a little about the difference between OCD and OCPD. I felt H was engaged in the conversation and processing this information. I went on to mention that these behaviors and thoughts can start to increase in a person when they enter in their 40s, which I recalled a conversation that H and I had that he had thought our arguments started to increase in Dec of 2011. I said, "Well, this may be in our relationship, but there are 2 people here and we both have responsibility for our relationship."
T (Therapist), I still feel this way about our relationship, there are 2 people here and we both have responsibility for this relationship. H, I would like to hear your thoughts on what I said here and your perspective about the Cammer self-test and anything else you would like mention about this conversation.

We (H,T and I) had a very good dialogue about this. T was not familiar with the differences between OCD and OCPD and I also shared a copy of the test. H explained some of the differences between OCD and OCPD to T (so he has been researching) and we went on to discuss H's concern with the "label". I believe T was casual in his discussion about disorders moving from a trait to something that can disrupt your life. I am glad that is on the table and I will make the assumption that T will share this with h's IC.

We did discuss the cover letter and the debit card. That did not go so well. H, tried a circular argument along with dragging additional points in on the cover letter and denied he expressed anger with the debit card. I would say things got interesting from there.

T made some valid points - as said H you are needy and Dragonfly you caretake and mother him. He invites you in and the gets uncomfortable and strikes out but he invited you in. Your arguments appear to come in these areas. T was firm and shut H down when he tried to turn it around, shift blame, deny, and go passive aggressive. T talked directly to me about pulling back and stop the caretaking, and it felt like, to me I will be the one to affect the lasting change. I don't know if I have the endurance and strength for that. :|

Our conversation progressed further with H discussing that he felt disconnected from me and the separate bedrooms. T asked about that. I know we had told him in an earlier session. He asked me if that is where my comfort level is. I said "yes, we have been in separate bedrooms since the closet incident (H pinned me against the wall)". I was looking down when I said it, as this point really really bothers me and I have been processing that. This happened at the end of the session so we did not discuss it much further.

H tried to start up after we left the session about him being hurt and blah blah blah. I said I was not interested in carrying the conversation we had in counseling further. I need a break at this time. H let it go. Evening was quiet and pleasant. No silent treatment.

Have more to process and I will post some other thoughts later.

Dragonfly21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:46 pm 

dragonfly21 wrote:
Had the MC counseling last night. I feel parts of it were good, parts of it were common behaviors, and again revealed my part in this dynamic.

T made some valid points - as said H you are needy and Dragonfly you caretake and mother him. He invites you in and the gets uncomfortable and strikes out but he invited you in. Your arguments appear to come in these areas. T was firm and shut H down when he tried to turn it around, shift blame, deny, and go passive aggressive. T talked directly to me about pulling back and stop the caretaking, and it felt like, to me I will be the one to affect the lasting change. I don't know if I have the endurance and strength for that. :|

Our conversation progressed further with H discussing that he felt disconnected from me and the separate bedrooms. T asked about that. I know we had told him in an earlier session. He asked me if that is where my comfort level is. I said "yes, we have been in separate bedrooms since the closet incident (H pinned me against the wall)". I was looking down when I said it, as this point really really bothers me and I have been processing that. This happened at the end of the session so we did not discuss it much further.

H tried to start up after we left the session about him being hurt and blah blah blah. I said I was not interested in carrying the conversation we had in counseling further. I need a break at this time. H let it go. Evening was quiet and pleasant. No silent treatment.

Have more to process and I will post some other thoughts later.

Dragonfly21

I think it's GREAT that you are feeling strong enough and have confidence in MC to bring these topics up. I also think it is very important to have an open mind about what YOUR role in the negatives of the relationship are. This is my take on you looking down - You are trying to be aware of your role. You are sensitive to what you have done or not done or could have prevented (caretaking, etc.). You are not punishing or being mean or being a bad wife. Don't let your sensitivity become guilt. You are setting and holding a boundary - good for you!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:55 pm 

RikkiTikki wrote:

I think it's GREAT that you are feeling strong enough and have confidence in MC to bring these topics up. I also think it is very important to have an open mind about what YOUR role in the negatives of the relationship are. This is my take on you looking down - You are trying to be aware of your role. You are sensitive to what you have done or not done or could have prevented (caretaking, etc.). You are not punishing or being mean or being a bad wife. Don't let your sensitivity become guilt. You are setting and holding a boundary - good for you!

Thanks RT, I appreciate the compliment. :)

I feel that I need to bring this up in MC because I am having a very hard time coming to terms with closet incident. I willing to put this push on it because I want to know that I did everything to the best of my abilities as this incident may be the tipping point for me with our marriage. I have been working very hard changing the caretaking. I believe that change is what escalated his behavior in December and he is very aware we are on a "knife edge" (said it at counseling)

I am trying to be present, keep things in a positive, calm light while I work on this part and it is not easy.

Dragonfly21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:38 pm 

One of the things that H mentioned in counseling is the lack of deep and intimate conversations. According to him, we have not been doing that and living parallel lives. T did not agree with H's observation, pointing out the events we have attended, snow shoeing, cooking dinner together, spending time together talking. I agreed with T but just sat and observed. H went on to mention that we were working on the marriage book but have not discussed that in several weeks (actually 1 week). So after our session when we were home having dinner, I suggested we work on it the following evening.

The book is the "7 principals of making marriage work" and we are working on exercise 3 of the first principal which is Enhancing Your Love Maps. We had 5 detailed questions that discussed our experiences with Triumph and Strivings focusing on pride and accomplishments and how did our families show love. They move on to have you illustrate how your experiences are operating and influencing your actions and behaviors in your marriage. Each partner answers the questions and shares with the other. These are intimate and deep questions and I found the experience enjoyable to see the connections of my experiences to how I operate - especially with what I have worked on within myself and with IC for many years. I could clearly tie in my experiences, my family of origin, what I have consciously done to shape it and how it operates in me.

H and I then visited and went over each answer that we gave, alternating who answered the question first. H was able to do the mechanical part of the experiences, but could not come up with answer that on the effect of those experiences, only "I don't know how they affect (me, our marriage, my actions, etc)". I could sense the struggle and the grasping with tying to make that connection. He did not get angry or upset, but more of a thoughtful/withdrawn quietness. The helper in me would have asked questions, suggested.....i.e. helped. I did not. I sat there and let him process for a short time. I then said, "I wonder if this is something you might want to review, maybe with your IC. I feel my time with my IC helped me to be able to answer these questions." And left it at that. I was proud of myself for not stepping in there. This is his stuff and if he wants awareness, he will need to do the work. I cant' do it for him. :)

Another part of me is sad for the pain he is experiencing. The type of sadness that I would feel for anyone that I care about who would experience this kind of pain. I can have empathy and compassion for him, but this is not my work to do.

This experience also allows me to really see what is here, his emotional levels - maturity, awareness, and possibly some awakenings. What is here.

The next set of questions we will be going into injuries and healing. Given his childhood abuse and the experience with the first set of questions, I wonder what the progress will be with these.

Dragonfly21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:40 am 

dragonfly21 wrote:

H and I then visited and went over each answer that we gave, alternating who answered the question first. H was able to do the mechanical part of the experiences, but could not come up with answer that on the effect of those experiences, only "I don't know how they affect (me, our marriage, my actions, etc)". I could sense the struggle and the grasping with tying to make that connection. He did not get angry or upset, but more of a thoughtful/withdrawn quietness. The helper in me would have asked questions, suggested.....i.e. helped. I did not. I sat there and let him process for a short time. I then said, "I wonder if this is something you might want to review, maybe with your IC. I feel my time with my IC helped me to be able to answer these questions." And left it at that. I was proud of myself for not stepping in there. This is his stuff and if he wants awareness, he will need to do the work. I cant' do it for him. :)

Another part of me is sad for the pain he is experiencing. The type of sadness that I would feel for anyone that I care about who would experience this kind of pain. I can have empathy and compassion for him, but this is not my work to do.

This experience also allows me to really see what is here, his emotional levels - maturity, awareness, and possibly some awakenings. What is here.

The next set of questions we will be going into injuries and healing. Given his childhood abuse and the experience with the first set of questions, I wonder what the progress will be with these.

Dragonfly21

H and I worked on the next set of questions which was injuries and healing. The situation unfolded like the previous one - H- not able to connect the effect of the experiences on his current actions and within the marriage. I had expected that would be similar what I did not expect was him omitting situations/experiences in his life that affected him. His divorce, the murder of a close friend, his relationship with his son. When I lightly mentioned these things, he said something like - they are in the past and I have dealt with them, so they are not traumatic :o .

We progressed through the questions and I noticed H was beginning to get tired, sleepy, exhausted. We visited briefly about the next set of questions that look how your FOO expressed emotions and some issues growing up. H mentioned he thought that the next one was going to be difficult for him. I suggested we each spend a few days reviewing the questions and working on the answers (currently we sit down together and work through the questions on our own and then visit). H said that 'extra time does not make a difference in my answers.' I mentioned that perhaps he might want to visit with his IC at his next session about these questions. I also said, " I have noticed you are very tired, almost exhausted when we do these exercises. I also noticed you were very tired after your IC appointment last week and fell asleep on the couch when you got home." He said, "these things are exhausting and make me tired." After this conversation, H fell asleep. We were sitting in the living room this time. Note to self - these convos will go back to the kitchen table.

I am at a loss on why he gets so tired. Is he processing, protection mechanism, is there an OCPD fight that he is battling with to uncover these areas ? Emotions can be messy and without structure or rationale. He can't control what happened in the past, only how he deals with it now and how he chooses to respond. GREENIES :mrgreen: - can you give some perspective here? I would appreciate it!

On another note, H went back to work yesterday. He mentioned he was discussing the "Big Bang Theory" and the Sheldon character (who has some major OCPD characteristics). His boss and co-workers know the sitcom and his boss said H was "totally Sheldon" :lol:

Dragonfly21

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next