Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder Support Group

A support group for those with OCPD and their loved ones.
It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to ocpd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: New to OCPD
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:11 pm 

Hello all, just learned OCPD was a thing yesterday. I suspect I have it, as it explains so many things in my life. People have told me I'm OCD about certain things but I never quite felt like I fit into the OCD mold. It didn't become overly apparent until I started dating my now wife, she would always point out all my odd (to her, normal to me) habits and routines but I just thought that was the way I had always done things and they worked so what was the big deal? I do not think I have it severe as some, because I am fairly flexible on many things. Perhaps that's just my laid-back, easy-going personality or maybe it will get worse with time.

I learned about it yesterday after I became obsessed with an event over which I had little to no control over. I looked into OCD again to see why I was being consumed by this event and stumbled upon OCPD and a light bulb clicked on. I finally found something that made sense. It was nice to finally put a name to all the questions I had about myself. I have not been officially diagnosed but I am fairly certain I would/will be. Not sure what's next for me now but any advice would be appreciated!

Sorry for the long post!

Thanks, Hunter

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: New to OCPD
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:16 pm 

Hi Hunter,

Welcome to the board.

You have just had a great revelation. Please try to hold on to it. Dealing with OCPD from the inside out - being aware and doing something about it - appears to be very difficult, but it still remains you rbest option if you want a happy relationship.

All teh best to you!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Hunter,

Hunter23 wrote:
Not sure what's next for me now but any advice would be appreciated!

Well, I'd suggest you read and learn about OCPD, and make an effort to change, or maybe the word is learn, or grow, or become more aware, or wake up. Google Phillipson The Right Stuff OCPD for his article on OCPD. There are others. Some advice that comes to mind:

- Realize OCPD is life-long. You're not going to solve it away using your mind. If you've got it, it's very likely you'll have it the rest of your life. On your deathbed.

- Entertain the thought that things, stuff, objects, mean nothing compared to emotional connections with others, feelings, mutual concern.

- You may come to believe your entire life up to this point has been a complete waste, misguided. Don't let this get you down. The past is past. Be concerned about now instead. You can make the choice to continue to live a wasted life, or, do something else. Be and act a different way.

- It's true feelings don't pay the bills. They don't make the bridges safe or the buildings from falling down. But, there are some problems, many problems, really, that can only be solved at the level of feelings. For example, grieving the death of a loved one, or a divorce, or loss of job, or a serious medical problem. Luckily we're not robots. We're human and can do that kind of working through feelings that much conflict resolution between two people requires. It's also golden to treat ourselves that same way, with kindness, understanding, "self-compassion". If you don't know how to do it, you can learn.

Sincerely, Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:12 pm 

Thank you for the replies,

It has been an interesting week, it is quite a struggle to deal with but the awareness of it is the biggest step!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk