Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder Support Group

A support group for those with OCPD and their loved ones.
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to ocpd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 390 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: crazy rules
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:10 pm 

don't put the handbrake on the car it will stretch the cable?
wipe the rubber inside the washing machine after the cycle has finished or it will rot!!
wipe your toothbrush with a towel after use and put in a cupboard so there will be no stains
in the cupboard
straighten your seatbelt when leaving your car so it will not get trapped in the door and cause damage to the paint.
when using the stereo turn speakers down to 0 when you turn it off so when you turn it on again your speakers will not blow

Post subject: Re: crazy rules
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:27 pm 

I'll add a couple (I was amused by this thread on the old site).

1. Toilet paper must be stored in the original wrapper - regardless of whether you opened the package or not. This prevents bugs.

2. The washer lid must remain closed. Otherwise bugs will get in. Yes, there is a bug phobia going on here.

3. The iron must be unplugged when not in use. No, it does not matter that the iron is equipped with an auto off switch.

4. The car must be washed regularly or it will cause the paint to chip.

5. Fish or chicken must be washed multiple times before cooking or it will cause food poisoning.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:16 am 

never had the bug issues but there were simply loads of other ones

1. all screws in light switches had to have the lines (or indentations where the screwdriver
goes in) pointing in the same direction.

2.all shoes pointing in the same direction in the wardrobe

3.and clothes

4.only use one end of a q-tip for both ears and save the other side for the next day

yuk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:45 am 

Location: OBX, NC, 'Merica, Earth, Milky Way, Local Galactic Group
Tired -- well you must admit we all should avoid any bug that can make it through a washing with bleach, de-watering at a centrifugal force of 10Gs, and then drying at 300F+. That is one tough little MF.

Last edited by realitycheque on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:33 pm 

reality,

As usual, your post made me laugh out loud. Thank you.

We live in spider central, but my ocpder is ever vigilant for "Mothra." There's nothing deadlier than tiny holes in folded sweaters you never wear.

cate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:13 pm 

1) "Business hours" close after 9pm. So no tasks can be completed after 9pm, not even if it's an absolute emergency. Not if it's April 14th and you haven't filed your taxes yet. Nothing.

2) Never turn the heat in the car on high, no matter what, even if there is ice inside the car.

3) Never EVER hand him the phone if someone wants to talk to him. Always give him a lot of advance notice for talking to someone on the phone.

4) Can never take a shower anytime close to bed-time because it ruins his sleep.

5) Never have anyone over without giving him advanced notice.

6) Always ask him to do things "really nicely" or all hell will break loose. "Really nicely" means to wait a few days, comment softly and introduce the topic gently (i.e. Since I do the dishes all the time, can you please be the person to put them away? was asked somewhat nicely but a HUGE fight erupted).

7) Eight hours of sleep are needed or there is a serious inability to function.

8) Other "random" rules that he brings in and out of rotation, depending on how bad he feels: -ALL television is bad so don't watch it at all. If you do want to watch it, do it when he is not home. -ALL movies are horrible nowadays so do not ask him to watch a movie. -Music is evil.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:24 pm 

When using the car you must disable the interior light by using the switch by the lights. If left to come on when someone opens the door and go out when the door is closed it will run the battery down.

All the little night lights (4 watts ) must be turned out first thing in the morning to save electricity, while the flood lights outside (250 watts ) can burn all day and night.

No body can answer the phone unless she says its ok. Then the conversation must be short.

She can only hear my voice if I look at her.. soon as I look to the side or in any other direction she cannot hear me.. she cannot speak either unless the same condition is met...I have fun with this one.. If she is talking I turn away.. she stops.. I turn back she starts. I turn away etc etc... ya gotta laugh.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:26 pm 

When I have supper ready to eat and the table is set and everything is ready... I must go and find her and lead her to the table by her hand. I cannot just call the kids and her to come.. that is rude.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:36 am 

Crazy rules

paper and plastic at the grocery store -when I shop without dh I ignore this rule Oh yes and DH HAS to bag, the baggers just watch.....
his blackberry MUST be on his desk next to his keys. I asked him what if it moves and he was wearing a scared look at that thought
The bacon MUST be flat! No other bacon will be consumed. I used to flatten the bacon with a frying pan on top. Thankfully there is now fully cooked bacon that you just microwave and its perfectly flat!
And the already mentioned, different foods CANNOT touch each other

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:38 pm 

A few new rules I've noticed lately:

Money must be in order in the wallet from one's to larger bills and all must be facing the same way. If they are not arranged in this way they are "faulty"

Keys should be carried as little as possible because they cause pockets to become out of shape. It doesn't matter if you can't get in the front door.

Cell phones should only be turned on to make a call. Incoming calls aren't important.

Gifts are not to be used. They are to be kept in a cupboard and looked at occasionally.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:09 am 

Everyone has their own weird rules. You just don't notice your own.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:39 am 

I don't believe that it is the crazy rules that are the issue. Its the hell ya catch if you break one. This may include hours, days or weeks of grief..

The other thing that may be assosiated with the crazy rules and the abuse or punishment you face for breaking one is the fact that the enforcer of the rule is usually allowed to break it theirself at any time with no repercusions.

The rules are for others not for the creator/enforcer. Ever.

That is what drives me batty.

Anyone else in this boat?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:57 am 

I agree with McAnal that we all have our own idiosyncrasies that we do not notice unless they are pointed out to us.

“ When people show you who they are, believe them, the first time."
― Maya Angelou

Last edited by more-freedom on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:51 am 

Pinocchio wrote:
I don't believe that it is the crazy rules that are the issue. Its the hell ya catch if you break one. This may include hours, days or weeks of grief..

Ok, I agree with that. The reaction should definitely be the issue, not the rule itself. But to me, this thread and the previous one sound like they are making a mockery of the rules that your OCPD'er has, when pretty much anyone has weird rules that could be put on display and publicly mocked. I can understand a post about the reaction or aftermath of breaking rules, I don't understand a post just saying "here's all the crazy rules my SO has" cause to me that's just finger pointing and your SO could probably get on here and list a few of your crazy rules to make you look like an idiot as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:04 pm 

This thread started on the other group as a way to have some comic relief amidst the daily job of coping with a loved one with a disorder.

It has provided me with laughs on days when I had no laugh in me.

Nobody is being directly malicious, and remember SO's don't have the luxury of having a dedicated board here where we can say what we like without thinking we might hurt someone's feelings.

I understand your point, but unless someone is actually pointing fingers at you personally, in this case it might be better if you wrote this thread off as ridiculous and let it go.

(Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a similar thread from OCPD people directed at their non OCPD SO's. No problem! I suspect it would be quite illuminating)

My two cents, respectfully.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 390 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next