Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder Support Group

A support group for those with OCPD and their loved ones.
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to ocpd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Brand New YouTube Series Just On OCPD
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:59 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I'll try to keep this brief and let my work do the talking. I started a YouTube channel this week dedicated to living with OCPD. It's my sincere hope that I reach everyone that suffers as a result of this personality disorder. I would love to help others with OCPD as much as I'm trying to help myself. But before starting this project I was very aware of how most people with OCPD are completely unaware they have it to begin with. So as much as I'd like to reach them, I am making this content while all the while keeping the partners of people with OCPD in mind. I'm really hoping to give everyone a much deeper insight into how our brains work. What I would love to see over time is for the comments section of the videos to fill up with questions I can tackle. Every time I collect enough questions I will do an episode that is just a Q&A. If after watching a video you have a question that you feel is urgent you can PM me and I'd be happy to answer. It takes a long time to grow a channel, so I'm not expecting this to work overnight. But at the moment I have about four months of episodes planned at three episodes per week. I wanted to wait until the end of the first week to share this channel as I needed to make sure I had what it takes to continue this project and see it through completing. I'm confident now that I won't be going anywhere and I will make myself a resource for a long time to come. If you do stop by, let me thank you in advance for checking out my story.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0wb5NK7yi0O-1Wy_7C8tbw

Post subject: Re: Brand New YouTube Series Just On OCPD
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:09 pm 

Good work putting yourself out there and trying to bring this often misdiagnosed disorder it's due.
Best wishes
gs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:44 pm 

Thanks so much for the feedback gardensanity. Just hard to find areas of the internet that are active in regards to OCPD. I'm hoping to be doing this for a long time to come.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:52 pm 

This should be interesting. I've never known anyone personally who has OCPD, certainly no one who has been diagnosed. So this maybe the closest I will get. Feel free to ask me any questions you have, if you have any for me. I like to think I do very well with my OCPD. I've found meditation, buddhist thought, to be very helpful. Although I see some of the pitfalls, I enjoy many of the characteristics, as I can sleep well knowing I have tried to behave to the best of my ability.

Good luck with your choices.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:36 pm 

Hi jscherer26,

Thanks for posting. I don't know anyone personally that is diagnosed with OCPD, although I say in one of my videos I absolutely suspect my father is. But by creating this series it's allowed me to meet many people online at least. You're the first person to say that you're doing well with your OCPD and I find that very encouraging and I am happy for you. Meditation is high on the list of things I plan on trying in the coming months and I'll be reporting on its effectiveness with me. I have to say I'm skeptical, but that goes for most treatment because I haven't been able to beat this in all my 39 years. But this time around I'm more committed to trying out different methods for a longer period of time. Thanks again for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:52 pm 

I don't think I have had as many challenges as many, never suffering from depression. I've always felt that I am an optimist, although others don't seem to always understand how that can be. I have little understanding of others and often question that they really believe what they say they believe. I base a lot of my beliefs about others be observing their actions and discounting their words. Again, others don't seem to always understand this, but it seems to serve me well. The buddhist belief system advises limited sharing of ideas, discounts the value of thoughts, and celebrates attention to details, and I seem to have found comfort in it, that I hadn't found trying to other belief systems. Approach it with an open mind and you may find comfort in it as well. Take care.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:43 pm 

Well again, I'm happy that you seem to have found something that works for you. I see some similar traits in myself, although I'm not sure if they are related to the OCPD). I can see how the Buddhist school of thought would align well with the way our brains work. I'm just not sure if I engage with other people that I'd ever be able to limit the sharing of thoughts. However, there is no way of knowing without trying.